Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
 Discussions WorldJOBS @ DISCUSSIONSWORLD.COMMECHANICAL ENGINEERING JOBS  

Can I load MXF into Premiere Pro CC? Topic: Can I load MXF into Premiere Pro CC?

Post Reply Post New Topic
fastercallss

Online Status: Offline
Quote fastercallss Replybullet Topic: Can I load MXF into Premiere Pro CC?
    Posted: Today at 3:28pm
If you are now having MXF import issues in Premiere Pro CC, you may come to the right place here. This topic covers why Premiere Pro CC can’t import MXF files and explains how to resolve this problem by transcoding MXF footage to a native format supported by PP CC.

Question: MXF files not reading in Premiere Pro CC
“Hi, I’m currently feeling so frustrated over a Sony MXF import issue in Premiere Pro CC. I’m intending to import one of my clients’ MXF footage from a Sony XDCAM HD disc into Adobe editing software. Every time I try it read the various audio files fine, but refused to import the video stream, and gave me a ‘generic error’. Why this happen? In my understanding, the CC should have native support for the XDCAM HD. Is there anything that I missed? Does that mean I have to transcode the MXF to an intermediate codec so CC can recognize them? Any help of advice would be greatly appreciated.”
Our Answer
Yes, it’s true. MXF should play perfectly in Premiere Pro CC, but if you can’t work this out at this point, you may wrap your MXF video to something intermediate. As a matter of fact, Adobe Premiere Pro CC seems to work fine if you import your MXF clips directly from a camera or camcorder, but if you have already copied MXF recordings to your HDD or you downloaded them from somewhere else, the import error may occur. That’s why there are so many people decided to convert MXF files to an intermediate format for editing.
Then another question comes up, ‘If I want to transcode MXF footage to something intermediate, what intermediate format should I choose, what software do I need and how do I go about that?”
If you want to convert the MXF footage to something mezzanine we would recommend H.264 .mov (if you are on a PC) or Apple ProRes ,mov (if on a Mac). Those two intermediate codecs are good mezzanine codecs that handle recompression well and standup well in other areas of post-production (color grading, graphics, compositing, etc.). If you decided to re-wrap your MXF clips for Premiere Pro CC using third party software, we would recommend HD Video Converter. This converter program works on both Windows and Mac platform, and converts MXF to your required file types retaining the Full-HD quality as the original. The guide below tells you how to go about it.

How to convert MXF to Adobe Premiere Pro CC editable format?
First, download a free trial for Windows or Mac to evaluate if it is able to satisfy your expectation.
Step 1: Start up Acrok MXF Converter as a MXF to H.264 Converter for Premiere Pro CC.

Step 2: Click ‘Add File’ to import your source media to the program.
Step 3: Select output format

* If you are on a Windows PC, from the format bar, choose ‘Avid DNxHD 1080p (*.mov)’ as output under ‘Avid Media Composer’ column.
** If you are on a Mac computer, and already have FCP installed, you can from the format bar, choose ‘Apple ProRes 422 (*.mov)’ as target under ‘Final Cut Pro’ catalogue.
Also, you can select ‘MOV (AVC) (*.mov)’ as output format under ‘Adobe Premiere/Sony Vegas’ option.
*** A point to note here is that the Acrok MXF Converter software features an MPEG-2 format profile optimized for Adobe Premiere Pro CC, but some people said that the MPEG-2 is a lossy codec that throws away information which is not the right codec for editing. For this reason, we would recommend converting MXF to H.264 for Premiere Pro CC on Windows and transcoding MXF to ProRes MOV for Premiere Pro CC on Mac.
Step 4: Custom video and audio settings (for advanced users)
Click ‘Settings’ button, the ‘Profile Settings’ panel pops up, on which you are able to modify video and audio settings like resolution, bit rate, frame rate, sample rate and audio channel.
Step 5: When ready, click ‘Convert’ to start transcoding MXF files to Premiere Pro CC supported H.264 MOV format. As soon as the conversion complete, click ‘Open’ button to locate the generated files and now you are able to open them in Premiere Pro CC for further editing.
Hot Guide
Blu-ray Ripper review, XAVC Video Converter, Edit MXF in FCP X, AVCHD to ProRes, MXF to Premiere Pro, iTunes to Galaxy S6, Digital Copy to Android, Nikon MOV Video Converter, Import MP4 into FCP X, Edit MXF in Premiere Pro
Free download video conversion software from www.acrok.com
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version